The research to be carried out will be focused along the following questions:
- Question 1: What are the current levels of direct and indirect contributions of ecosystem services to local food security and nutritional health outcomes for the rural poor
- Question 2: What are the drivers and pressures that have the greatest effect on the ecosystem services that are most important for food security and health outcomes?
- Question 3: To what extent are coping strategies to food insecurity dependent on ecosystem services over multiple spatial and temporal scales?
- Question 4: How are the levels of direct and indirect contributions of ecosystem services to local food security and nutritional health outcomes for the rural poor likely to change under future land use and climate change scenarios?
- Question 5: How can the risks associated with future environmental change be managed to minimise effects on human beings and ecosystems?
- Question 6: How can we consolidate different levels of policy decision making (at the local, regional, national and global scales) to better manage ecosystem service conflicts, tradeoffs and synergies to sustain food security and health?